Friday, September 8, 2017

What Do I Do If I am Unable to File My Bi-Weekly Unemployment Claim in Pennsylvania?

Need Legal Help With a Severance Agreement?
John Gallagher's Philadelphia Area Law Firm Negotiates
All Types of Employment Contracts
610-647-5027 or

Philadelphia area employment lawyer John A. Gallagher represents Pennsylvania employees located in towns such as King of Prussia, West Chester, Media, Norristown, Villanova, Radnor, Paoli, Bryn Mawr and Wayne review and negotiate Severance Agreements.  Located in Chester County, Mr. Gallagher will provide an evaluation of your Separation and Release Agreement for a reasonable flat fee and, where appropriate, will try to increase the amount of severance you have been offered on a Contingent Fee basis.

What Happens if I am Unable to File my Claim During the Unemployment Appeal Process in Pennsylvania?

Here is an e-Mail I received from a client today:


I just got through to the UC Services Center.  They had to "reset" their system in order for me to file claims for the past weeks that were never paid.

A piece of advice here for the future.  Please share this with your clients that are going through a UC Appeal process.  What I learned today is that - EVEN THOUGH THE WEBSITE WILL NOT LET YOU FILE A CLAIM DURING THE APPEALS PROCESS - YOU STILL HAVE TO FILE!  THE ONLY WAY TO FILE IS TO CALL THE UC SERVICES CENTER.  I was told that I should have known this by reading the UC handbook.  

So, they reset the system, and I just filed for 6 weeks electronically.  Now there is a catch here.  For the weeks that I was untimely in filing for, a "decision" will be made as to whether or not I get paid.  Messed up to say the least.

At any rate, thanks for your response, John.  Talk to you soon.  



In Pennsylvania, Claimants Must Continue to File Bi-Weekly Benefit Claims After You Have Appealed a Notice of Determination and/or While Awaiting a Referee Decision Following an Unemployment Hearing

This client had recently won an Unemployment Referee Hearing, but was not able to file his bi-weekly claims either after he appealed from a Notice of Determination denying benefits or after he had won his Referee Hearing.

I have received many such calls, so I expect many Pennsylvania workers are experiencing similar problems.  Hope this helps.

Here are phone numbers for the various Pennsylvania Unemployment Service Centers:

UC Services Phone Numbers
UC Service Center Statewide
Toll-Free Number
TTY Services for Deaf and
Hard-of-Hearing Toll-Free
Videophone Service for ASL Users-
Wednesdays, noon-4 p.m.
*Sign language is the ONLY means of communication provided at this number.
UC Service Center Fax Numbers
UC service center hours of operation are 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday with Monday being a heavy call day. 

Need Legal Help With a Willful Misconduct or Voluntary Quit Case?
John Gallagher's Philadelphia Area Law Firm Has Represented Hundreds of Claimants at Pennsylvania Unemployment Referee Hearings
610-647-5027 or

John A. Gallagher is an experienced unemployment lawyer located 15 miles west of Philadelphia who represents claimants at Unemployment Referee Hearings held in Bristol, Springfield, Philadelphia, King of Prussia, Malvern, Lancaster and Reading.  

If you have received a Notice of Hearing, Mr. Gallagher will provide a FREE telephone evaluation of your unemployment claim. If he believes there is a reasonable chance for you to win with his assistance, he will then provide a reasonable flat fee to represent you at the Hearing.  John has handled hundreds of Pennsylvania Unemployment Referee Hearings involving:

·       willful misconduct

·       voluntary quit

·       self-employment

·       sideline business

·       overpayments

If you have filed for Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation and believe you need legal help with an issue relating to your application, questionnaire, Referee Hearing or appeal, call or e-Mail John (please include your phone number) and Mr. Gallagher will spend a few minutes reviewing the situation with you and, if he believes he can help, he will explain why and how, and will quote you a reasonable flat fee.

No comments: