Monday, July 30, 2012

How Do I Continue or Postpone My Pennsylvania Unemployment Hearing?

What Do I Need to do in Order to Get a Continuance of an Unemployment Hearing in Pennsylvania?
Justice Delayed, but not Denied

If your Unemployment Hearing has been scheduled, and you are unavailable on the appointed date and time, or need more time to prepare, you may get a continuance of the Hearing.

In order to get a continuance, you need to put your request in writing.  The best thing to do is to send it directly to the Referee via a telefax.  You can find out the name of the Referee and his/her fax number from the Notice of Hearing.  On the Notice of Hearing, you will also find your case number; reference that in your continuance request.

Submit the request as soon as possible. You have a much greater chance of getting the continuance if you make your request at least a week before the Hearing.

VIDEO -  Pennsylvania Willful Misconduct Unemployment Hearings:

Under What Circumstances Will Pennsylvania Unemployment Grant My Request to Postpone My Referee Hearing?

There are few circumstances under which a Referee will almost always grant a continuance. 

Write the Referee a Fax and
Ask for Continuance
For example, if you have a pre-paid vacation or trip planned, and send a copy of your itinerary to the Referee along with your request.

Another way of nearly guaranteeing a continuance is to advise that you are in the process of obtaining counsel. 

There are other valid bases to obtain a continuance but, typically they should involve unavailability, not just mere inconvenience.

Your lawyer may often be granted a continuance if he/she asks, provided the request is timely and supported by a valid reason (i.e. attached for court that day, etc.).

Philadelphia Are Employment Attorney Representing Employees

Helping Pennsylvania Laborers With Unemployment Claims Since 1991
John A. Gallagher is an employment lawyer who represents employees in Pennsylvania. 

John typically represents employees who need an employment lawyer in Philadelphia County, Chester County, Delaware County, Bucks County, Berks County, Lancaster County and Montgomery County.

Pennsylvania Employment Attorney Provides Free Telephone Consultations

If you are looking for an employment lawyer, and live in Malvern, Wayne, King of Prussia, Downingtown, Glenside, Doylestown, Radnor, Newtown Square, Exton, Philadelphia, West Chester, Skippack, Langhorne, Haverford, Nether Providence, Broomall, Drexel Hill, Reading or any of their surrounding towns, feel free to send me an e-mail or give me a call.  I am always glad to spend some time with people via a free telephone consultation.

Need an Employment Labor Lawyer Near Philadelphia?

Click Here if you have questions about any aspect of employment law, from wrongful termination, to wage and overtime claims, to discrimination and retaliation laws, to Family and Medical Leave

Click Here if you have questions about any aspect of Pennsylvania Unemployment Law, from willful misconduct, to voluntary quit, to Referee Hearings, to severance issues

Click Here to e-mail John directly.

Thanks for checking in with us.

No comments: