Sunday, August 1, 2010

If I Take a Part Time Job, Can I Get Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation?

Philadelphia Unemployment Lawyer With Offices in Montgomery County and Delaware County

The short answer is: if you take a part-time job and are paid W-2 wages, you can earn up to 40% of your weekly unemployment benefit without suffering any loss of unemployment benefits.  YOU MUST NEVERTHELESS REPORT THESE WEEKLY EARNINGS TO UNEMPLOYMENT.

If, on the other hand, you take part-time work and are paid as an independent contractor (W-9 wages), you will in most cases be disqualified from receiving benefits if in fact you are an independent contractor.  However, the mere fact that you have a contract that says you are an independent contractor is not proof that you are an independent contractor (if I call a donkey a racehorse, it's still a donkey).  Also, if your self-employment is a sideline business, then you are still entitled to unemployment.

If you have a Hearing before an Unemployment Referee on the issue of whether you are an independent contractor, you are strongly advised to consider retaining counsel

At the Gallagher Law Group, we represent only individuals with workplace rights issues. Call 610-647-5027, e-mail me directly or send an e-mail inquiry via the "Fill Out My Form" box to the upper right of this page. We will respond promptly with an analysis of your situation, and discuss potential options going forward at no cost to you.

If you need a Highly Experienced Unemployment Lawyer in the Philadelphia area who represents only individuals, John A. Gallagher has 20 years of experience, and offices in Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, Paoli, Exton,Radnor and Philadelphia.


See our YouTube on this issue and 6 other commonly asked unemployment questions in Pennsylvania.
The questions we answer are as follows:

1.  What is Willful Misconduct in Pennsylvania? 

2.  If I Quit My Job, Can I Get Unemployment in Pennsylvania?

3.  If I Am Getting Severance, May I Apply for Unemployment in Pennsylvania?

4.  Can I Draw Pennsylvania Unemployment Benefits If I Am Disabled?

5.  Can I Work Part-Time and Receive Unemployment in Pennsylvania?

6.  If I Do Consulting Work, Am I Disqualified from Pennsylvania Unemployment?

7.  What is an Independent Contractor In Pennsylvania for Purposes of Unemployment?
    The Gallagher Law Group handles Unemployment Appeal matters for individuals in communities Devon, Wynnewood, Malvern, Nether Providence, Chalfont, Horsham, Perkasie, West Norriton, Royersford, Oaks and Phoenixville.  If you have a question about unemployment in Pennsylvania, call us today and we will discuss your matter at no cost to you.

    No comments: